Strategy and Organization
He is an academically-qualified professor and experienced international executive. Entrepreneurial perspective is evident in professional experience, academic research in international entrepreneurship, and academic program administrative roles. He teaches Business Strategy and Policy, International Business, Entrepreneurship, and Innovation and has consulted to organizations in the U.S., Europe and Middle East. Published in leading academic journals.
- 2007 Doctor of Business Administration, Strategy and Policy - Boston University, Boston, USA
Focus : International Entrepreneurship
- 1983 Master of Business Administration, Finance and Management Science (dual major) - State University of New York, Buffalo, USA
- 1978 Bachelor of Science, Mathematics (Magna cum Laude), Minor - Secondary Education - State University of New York College, Buffalo, USA
- 2012 Associate professor - EMLYON Business School, Ecully, France
- 2008 - 2012 Affiliate Professor - EMLYON Business School, Ecully, France
Strategy & Organization Department. Teahc graduate (MBA, Masters, Executive MBA) courses in business strategy and policy, international business, entrepreneurship and innovation.
- 2007 - 2008 Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Management - Drexel University, Philadelphia, USA
Taught graduate & undergraduate courses in business strategy, entrepreneurship and innovation.
- 2006 Adjunct Professor - St. Joseph's University, Philadelphia, USA
MBA capstone in Global Business
- 2003 - 2004 Instructor - Boston University, Metropolitan College, Boston, USA
- 1981 - 1982 Instructor - State University of New York, Buffalo, USA
- Since 2009 Director, International MBA Program - EMLYON Business School, Ecully, France
- 2009 - 2012 : Director, MSc. in Luxury Management and Marketing Program - EMLYON Business School, Ecully, France
- Since 2009 Member of Curriculum Committee, Graduate Programs Committee, program Rationalization Committee, Selection Board, Admissions Board - EMLYON Business School, Ecully, France
Nearly two decades of management responsibility including senior management, operating committee and board-level roles. Established businesses in domestic and foreign environments with multicultural staff.
- 2000 - 2001 General Manager/Senior Vice President CRM West Region (San Francisco) and Client Partner (London) - iXL, Inc. (via acquisition), San Francisco, USA and London, UK
- Oversaw account management functions for the CRM practice in Europe
- Advised on iXL's European organization and Strategy
- P&L responsibility (£20M) for European financial services business
- Developed and managed iKL's largest client, contributing 50% of iXL's international revenue
Established Milan office to deliver services in northern Italy
- 1996 - 2000 Tessera Enterprise Systems, Boston and San Francisco, USA
- Managed development of new markets and technologies
- Developed staff at a small, leading CRM services provider
- P&L responsibility
- Developed/led cross-functional teams
- 1999 - 2000 Sr. Vice President, General Manager, West Region -Tessera Enterprise Systems, San Francisco, USA
- 1996 - 1998 Director/Vice President, Financial Services/ Healthcare -Tessera Enterprise Systems, San Francisco and Boston, USA
- 1988 - 1996 Synetics Corporation, Wakefield, Massachusetts, USA
- Executive in aggressive, high-growth (INC 500 in 1990 and 1991), minority-owned systems integrator, which I help build from a small government contractor into a $50M diversified business
- Focused on designing and implementing business solutions utilizing client-server architectures, groupware, and emerging technologies for commercial and government clients
- P&L responsibility
- Founded Synetics, Ltd., an international subsidiary
- 1996 Vice President, Commercial and International - Synetics Corporation, Wakefield, Massachusetts, USA
- 1995 Vice president, International - Synetics Corporation, Wakefield, Massachusetts, USA
- 1994 Senior Director, International - Synetics Corporation, Wakefield, Massachusetts, USA
- 1990 - 1993 Senior Director, Information Technology/Systems Development - Synetics Corporation, Wakefield, Massachusetts, USA
- 1988 - 1990 Director, Information Technology Group - Synetics Corporation, Wakefield, Massachusetts, USA
- 1988 Services Consultant for telecommunications products - Saranac Communications, Wakefield, Massachusetts, USA
- 1986 - 1988 Manager, Project Management - Tritech Laboratories, North Andover, Massachusetts, USA
- Planned and managed large-scale networking projects and performed network operations analysis for the New York financial community for this start-up company
- 1983 - 1986 Wang Laboratories, Lowell, Massachusetts, USA
- 1985 - 1986 Product Manager, Product Planning and Management - Wang Laboratories, Lowell, Massachusetts, USA
- 1983 - 1984 Senior Software Engineer, Research and Devleopment - Wang Laboratories, Lowell, Massachusetts, USA
- Masters in Corporate Finace : Evaluating Business Plan
- Specialized Masters : Strategic Management
- MSc. Management : Business Policy
- MSc. Management : Literature review
- MSc. Management : International Strategies of firms
- MBA and EMBA : Managing Innovation
- MSc. Entrepreneurship : Global Entrepreneurship Program Boot Camp
- MSc. Entrepreneurship : Global Entrepreneurship Program European Projects
- International Entrepreneurship
- New venture internationalization
- Cross-country differences in entrepreneurial activity
ACADEMIC ARTICLES (5)LIPUMA Joseph, NEWBERT Scott L., DOH Jonathan P. (2012). The effect of institutional quality on firm export performance in emerging economies : a contingency model of firm age and size. Small Business Economics, FORTH.
LIPUMA Joseph, PARK Sarah (2013). Venture Capitalists' Risk Mitigation of Portfolio Company Internationalization. Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, FORTH.
LIPUMA Joseph, HOEHN-WEISS Manuela N. (2010). Substitutes or complements? : the effects of alliances and corporate venture capital on intensity of new-venture internationalization. Frontiers of entrepreneurship research, 30 (16).
LIPUMA Joseph (2009). Internationalization and the ipo performance of new ventures. Frontiers of entrepreneurship research, 29 (18).
HOEHN-WEISS Manuela N. , LIPUMA Joseph (2009). Better in Pairs? : Interactions between Alliances and Corporate Venture Capital on New-Venture Internationalization. Frontiers of entrepreneurship research, 2008.
BOOKS (2)LIPUMA Joseph, BALL Eric R. (2012). Unlocking the Ivory Tower : How management research can transform your business. Kauffman fellows press.
LIPUMA Joseph (2007). Venture Capital and the Internationalization of New Technology-Based Ventures. Boston University.
CONFERENCES (10)LIPUMA Joseph (2012). Too Much of a Good Thing?, How Alliances and Corporate VC Affect New-Venture Internationalization. SMS 32nd Annual International Conference, Prague, October 7-9, 2012 .
LIPUMA Joseph, PARK Sarah (2012). Different Sources of Venture Capital and their Investment Management Practices, Academy of Management 72nd Annual Meeting, Boston, August 3-7, 2012 .
PARK Sarah, PRANGE Christiane, LIPUMA Joseph (2012). Knowledge and INV Internationalization, 2ème conférence annuelle d’ATLAS/AFMI, Lyon, 31 mai - 1er juin, 2012 .
PARK Sarah, PRANGE Christiane, LIPUMA Joseph (2012). Knowledge and New Venture Internationalization, A Review and Knowledge Components Framework. "L'engagement international à l'écoute du local" : 2ème Conférence Annuelle Atlas/AFMI, Association Francophone de Management International, Lyon, 31 Mai-1er juin 2012 .
LIPUMA Joseph, PRANGE Christiane, PARK Sarah (2011). Know-how, Know-who, Know-why, Know-what, Knowledge Type Interaction in New Venture Internationalization. Strategic Management Society (SMS) 31st Annual International Conference, Miami, November 6-9, 2011 .
LIPUMA Joseph, PRANGE Christiane, PARK Sarah (2011). Conflicting or Converging, The Interactive Role of Venture Capitalists' and Entrepreneurs' Knowledge in the Internationalization Process of Young Ventures. International Business (IB) Conference, Henley Business School, University of Reading, Reading, UK, 11-12 April, 2011 .
LIPUMA Joseph, PRANGE Christiane, PARK Sarah (2010). Venture capitalists mitigation of agency risks of portfolio company internationalization, Workshop and Small Business Economics Special Issue: “Reassessing the Relationships between Private Equity Investors and Their Portfolio Companies”, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School, Ghent, 30 September-1 October 2010. Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
LIPUMA Joseph, HOEHN-WEISS Manuela N. (2010). The Effects of Alliances and Corporate Venture Capital on New Venture Internationalization, "Passion & Compassion in Management Practice & Research": Academy of Management (AOM) Annual Meeting, Montreal, August 6-10th, 2010 .
LIPUMA Joseph, HOEHN-WEISS Manuela N. (2010). Substitutes or Complements, The Effects of Alliances and Corporate Venture Capital on Intensity of New Venture Internationalization. 30th Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference (BCERC), Lausanne, Switzerland, June 9-12, 2010 .
LIPUMA Joseph (2009). Corporate Venture Capital and the Internationalization of Portfolio Companies, "Green Management Matters": Academy of Management (AOM) Annual Meeting, Chicago, August 7-11th, 2009 .
PRESS ARTICLES (2)LIPUMA Joseph (2011). Rich Dividend. The Times of India, 3.
LIPUMA Joseph, MOORE Rickie (2009). Geared for Growth Business Models in Emerging Economies. Effective executive .
WORKING PAPERS (3)LIPUMA Joseph (2012). Complementarities between Corporate Venture Capital and Foreign Venture Capital for New Venture Internationalization. .
LIPUMA Joseph, PRANGE Christiane, PARK Sarah (2012). Conflicting or Converging. .
LIPUMA Joseph, HOEHN-WEISS Manuela N. (2012). Too Much of a Good Thing?. .
CASE STUDIES (1)LIPUMA Joseph, DELMAR Frédéric (2010). Aysen Zamanpur: A Born Global in the Luxury Retail Market. .
Doctoral Dissertation (1)LIPUMA Joseph (2007). Venture Capital and the Internationalization of New Technology-Based Ventures. Boston University, .