CGI Chair - The Wholesalers of the Future
Role of the Chair
This three-year research Chair unites professionals from the French Confederation of Wholesale and International Trade, and researchers from the Research Centre for Transport and Logistics (CRET-LOG) and EMLYON Business School under a common goal. It focuses on innovation in intermediation. Here, the term "intermediation" refers, in general, to the phenomena that exist between suppliers, intermediaries and business clients. It is used instead of the terms "wholesalers" or "B2B relations".
The first year of the Chair (2010) was devoted to an analysis of the current situation with regard to intermediation, and the development of theoretical models. The second year (2011) involved empirical research.
Catherine Pardo is a Professor at EMLYON Business School. She teaches marketing, focusing specifically on B2B marketing and marketing to students and corporate executives. She runs a course entitled "B2B Marketing, Purchasing and Supply Chain" for Msc and Ms students who wish to work in companies involved in inter-organisational exchange. Catherine Pardo holds a PhD in Management and is accredited to supervise research.
- Leadership of two round-table discussions at the second CGI Summer University (Marseille, July 2010). Presentation of a situational analysis covering two key topics: innovation in logistics and competitive advantages, and innovation in intermediation and the impact on the value chain. The outcomes of these two round-table discussions were presented at around 10 different workshops, and the latest CGI publication (B to B Perspectives) outlines the main conclusions of these discussions.
- Presentation of several preliminary theoretical models at the Chair's Strategic Orientation Committee meeting in Lyon on 16th December 2010. Sophie Michel, Research Assistant at EMLYON and PhD student, outlined a context-based approach to changes in the wholesaler profession from the 1960s to the present day and suggested several possible areas of empirical research. Laurent Giraud, also a Research Assistant at EMLYON and PhD student, addressed the little-studied issue of sales and marketing human resources in the context of the modernisation of the B2B intermediation sector.
- February 2012: Publication of a Special Paper entitled "Intermédiation dans les canaux de distribution : vers un renouveau ?" (Intermediation in distribution channels: towards reinvention?) in Issue 51 of the journal Management & Avenir.
- Publication of two articles:
- Michel, Sophie & Pardo, Catherine, (2012), "La spécificité du commerce BtoB : quelques repères historiques” (The unique features of B2B trade: a few historical markers),Management & Avenir,51 (February), 156-166.
- Laurent, Giraud & Pardo, Catherine, (2012), "Les fonctions commerciales au cœur de l’évolution des intermédiaires du BtoB ? Une étude exploratoire” (The role of sales in changes in the B2B intermediation sector: an exploratory study),Management & Avenir,51 (February), 157-185.
- Michel, Sophie & Pardo, Catherine, (2012), "La spécificité du commerce BtoB : quelques repères historiques”,Management & Avenir,51 (février), 156-166.
- Laurent, Giraud & Pardo, Catherine, (2012), "Les fonctions commerciales au cœur de l’évolution des intermédiaires du BtoB ? Une étude exploratoire”,Management & Avenir,51 (février), 157-185.
- The Annual Convention of FNAS (French Federation of Sanitation, Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing Wholesalers) took place on 10th May 2012. Catherine Pardo delivered a presentation at the convention, entitled "Wholesalers: value creators in the sector".